The Community of St. Mary invites young people to experience a year alongside the Community, rooted in S.O.I.L (Sacramental, Organic, Intentional Living), sharing the rhythm and routine of daily prayer, working in the Convent and the garden, and representing the Community in the surrounding community as well as the world at large. As the first class of St. Mary’s interns defines it in their “Rule of Life,” the mission of the program is:
“Spiritual and personal growth and development, vocational discernment guided by the Benedictine model of prayer, work, study, and rest that is rooted in intentional, communal living in harmony with the natural world, the Community of St. Mary, and the greater Sewanee community.”
The work will be largely agricultural, but extends beyond this central focus to accommodate the unique interests, gifts, and abilities of incoming interns. A major component of the internship will also involve work with Thistle Farms (Nashville) and their partnership with the Convent.
The internship is designed for individuals who:
- Seek a rich prayer life with a balance of private and corporate prayer guided by the Benedictine tradition and the practices of the Community of St. Mary
- Are committed to slowing down and taking time to discern how best to use their unique gifts, interests, abilities, and experiences in service of others and the world both in the immediate context of the internship and throughout their lives
- Have or desire experience with agricultural work, especially gardening
- Desire spiritual formation in the setting of an intentional community
- Wish to cultivate a life of balance, rhythm, and routine and to demonstrate hospitality to others in the community
- Feel a call to service: service to communities and individuals that can and ought to take a variety of forms
- Are exploring ways in which their faith connects with communities, both natural and human and how those connections can be deepened and strengthened
The summer internship runs from June 1st to August 8th. Interns will need to provide their own health insurance, but will be provided with housing, some meals, and a modest weekly stipend to meet their personal needs. Freedom to pursue a little alternative part-time work outside the Community of St. Mary in order to satisfy personal interest and/or need for extra money is also a possibility.
Address: The Community of St. Mary, Southern Province, 1100 St. Mary’s Lane, Sewanee, TN 37375.